Friday, July 1, 2011

About Those 6 weeks without a car, soy, soy everywhere, VA Beach

    I guess this time I will start "backwards" as far as the title goes. I am still looking fondly back on our trip to see our son in southeast Virginia -- even took a trip to Virginia Beach and saw where the colonists (!) first landed --  at First Landing State Park. It has an interesting beach area in that is at the confluence  (meeting) of several different bodies of water, but primarily Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. From the park's beach we could see where the beachfront curves around to the east and south to Virginia Beach proper, with all its hotels and souvenir shops and restaurants right on the beach. And in the distance to the west had to be the beginning of Norfolk.
    We missed out on what I saw online, a video showing a bike route just behind the hotels  and bordering a wide sidewalk that then bordered the sandy beach. That might be neat to try in the future, and economical too.
    I also discovered that the trees where we picnicked (there is a campground next to this park) had these wiry, almost shrubby "live oak" trees, which have small but leathery leaves, and long wavy limbs very much unlike your typical oak. But then, these are on the coast and rather different from what you find farther inland. We missed out on exploring its trails, which have swampy areas too. We need to go back sometime.
    Now I am back from any so-called vacation and trying to not overeat and also trying to avoid 'soy,' which is not the friend of a breast cancer survivor whose cancer was "estrogen receptor positive." I have read I should avoid the plant estrogen in soy, which is in everything! And I thought I was eating healthy with my chocolate bars, with their iron and dark chocolate that is considered good for your heart. So What!!!
    There is soy everywhere -- soy in salad dressing, soy in chocolate bars, soy in canned soups, soy in energy bars, soy in mayonnaise, soy in well, soy sauce and Oriental cooking products. Soy, soy, soy! How the heck do you avoid this thing? It's even in those low cal bouillon cubes! Can you believe it?! I guess I will have to make my own soup from scratch, forget the bouillon cubes, use mayonnaise sparingly, make my own salad dressing. Soy seems to be mixed in with a lot of food additives. Just as well I avoid all that crap and try to eat more fruit and vegetables. Too many things in the environment seem to work against you if you want to stay healthy.
    I guess being 6 weeks without a car can be good for your health. You have to decide when you are going to go to the store (walk-- the store was only a 15 minute walk away but part of it was uphill), and plan things out more. No hopping in the car, polluting the air and using oil that will never be replenished. At least, when you walk, you can replenish yourself with fluids and more food.
    Well, I will call the nutritionist/pharmacist tomorrow to see where I have vitamin deficiencies (she took a hair sample 3 weeks ago) and how to help my immune system. Too bad there is not a group around here of women with the gumption to not listen to every little thing their oncologist says and interested in healthy alternatives. If I have to do this alone then so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment