Monday, April 28, 2014

Teaching can be frustrating, weather foils campus walk

    We are in the home stretch of the college semester, when I am starting --- really, have already started in the last month --- adding up percentages and numbers. In my 202 classes, I have a "points" system where they need to add up everything, the quizzes, attendance points, major projects and extra credit. It's a lot of dang points and they don't seem to add up any, except that some of them are doing the extra credit projects (of course they are all shooting for an A and I am not making it that easy for them). My colleagues are much harsher when it comes to grading, but I, well I don't make it too easy to make an A. They all want to make an A.
   And I wanted to take a "break" and take them on a walk on campus, but tomorrow promises rain and the constant threat of thunderstorms, so I guess that is out. They are too attached to their gadgets like their cell phones, and need a break from them, I think. They are not too appreciative of nature, or the themes we have been exploring when it comes to food, although some of them seem somewhat engaged with this topic. No, it's the 201 class that is not engaged. They rarely speak and I've dropped (starting out) from 27 down to 19 in that class. It can be frustrating getting them to turn things in on time. And these are supposedly young adults! Well, the semester will be over soon and then I can do some other writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment