Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Rain, rain, (go away) -- Gardening pros and cons, canoeing for litter

     It's been raining for days-- is this good for tomato plants, to be rained on every day? They have grown fairly fast in the last week and are now sprawled on the ground, probably not the best place now that they are producing green fruits. So we bought these supportive "sticks" at Lowe's (sp?) and could have put them next to the tomato plants but guess what? It's raining again!
     Certainly being in the garden and taking in the luxurious, pleasing scent of the tomato plants is better than dealing with sibling  rivalry or the lack thereof (don't ask -- just say my friends  have been better companions to me than my siblings have been in the last 30 years). Gardening and planning and watching over the tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini plants -- they're like your little green children you want to nurture along. Too bad you have to eat your children when they become big and tasty.
     The other day I "helped" nature by canoeing along the lake coastline at Claytor Lake State Park to do a summer litter pickup. I really worked out my shoulders, and yet, they didn't seem achy the next day, paddling against the currents of outboard motorboats passing by as the spouse and I used the end of the paddles to lift plastic, bottles and other refuse off the banks of the park's lake. The news said many others did this and came up with 100 bags of trash in all. My, but there are some big litterbugs out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment