Monday, October 22, 2012

Do Students Have Manners Anymore?

    Do students today have any idea what "manners" or classroom etiquette is? I had to tell my college sophomores they were acting like ninth graders as they mostly "talk over" me when I am explaining something to them. Although it is a "Core" class that is required and some of it may be review, is that any excuse to not be polite and listen for a change?
     If Judith Martin, "Miss Manners" in the papers, were to come to my one overly talkative class, what would she say? I think young people today want to have it all. They want everything to be their way as they have been spoiled by their parents, many of whom have good paying jobs and have given them everything their heart desires. And when it comes to college, since they are away from Mom and Dad and are on their own, they tend to do things not in an adult fashion but in a "know-it-all" fashion, not respecting the instructor as they think they know better. They know more than moi, their teacher? I don't think so.
     And I don't even have a huge class. I saw a commercial where candidate Mitt Romney for president said only teachers' unions were interested in smaller classes in public schools.No, kids don't want to be in a huge class either. And some of them want to listen and learn.
      But as I am teaching older students you would think they would know better. I actually moved some students (and one emailed me to complain) but I guess you can't please everyone. Teaching is a stressful profession (and college adjuncts are certainly not paid for the work that they do). I'd just like some constructive conversation in the class. Is that asking too much?

No comments:

Post a Comment