Saturday, September 3, 2011

Neat Nellie's Cave Park, Blacksburg, Jolly Rogers amusment park

    Neat Nellie's Cave Park, at Blacksburg, VA. There's probably a cave on the property somewhere. There's actually a little cave on an upper trail at Wildwood Park (Radford) and so why not this trail? 
    And walking on it was funny. The trail we walked on, some grass and sometimes dirt, was partly in the open, away from a tree canopy, and it reminded me of a visit I made to Takapausha Preserve in Seaford, on Long Island, whose trails I ventured on as part of my novel research back in 2000. And th e logs bordering our trail, don't know why, reminded me of a ride I went on at a Long Island amusement park off Hempstead Turnpike called "Jolly Rogers". The ride was for little kids and I think I was outgrowing it, but it consisted of sitting on a board and you had pedals in front of you and you "hand pedaled" the "RIDE" around a track. I actually found a'remember Jolly Rogers' amusment park on FAcebook! So I wasn't just imagining it.
    We actually went to Nellie's Cave Park for a meeting with a new group of Master Naturalists. Some were very friendly; some were reserved. I hope to get better acquainted with someone. I would also love to own a home and invite someone to my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment