Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Weight an issue --Thinking about the future

     The other day I really mangled myself, in the walking department. As I was leaving the grocery store, there was an oncoming car and I wondered: is he coming right at me or what? It turned out to be or what, I moved to side, and hit this stupid grove in the sidewalk at a weird angle. I fell, and proceeded to half twist my right knee, and somewhat sprain my feet. Real smart. But then, if you have skinny ankles and feet and are over 50 (post menopause), things weaken. I really need to be more sure footed. Are there exercises for this?
     I don't need any more stress though, dealing with planning a big trip to see family on the West coast. Of course, weight is an issue, which doesn't make it any easier as you get older. I'm sure if I were lighter maybe that fall would not have happened. It was just an odd accident.
     Actually did get back some results from the "Lifeline" screening people, and my arteries, (despite my love affair with chocolate and sugar) are normal, according to their cursory tests. They only thought there might be a slight echo of a heart beat (like an extra heart beat) I should have checked out. I do need to have less chocolate --- have tried to eliminate hot cocoa packets and (for a while) give up chocolate as part of a Lenten choice. It worked, for a short while. Getting older, I guess I should eat a little better in the dessert department.
      I will say it is peaceful here in the silent study room at R. U., all by myself. Outside the window they are putting up these towers (not exactly like the Two Towers of Lord of the Rings fame, but imposing nonetheless) and digging up dirt with machines. There was once a nice little brick house there. Oh well.
     Now it is time to read a bit of this Sally Ride bio. I'd like to do a book about "Great American Women," and as our first lady astronaut, she was one.

No comments:

Post a Comment